Leiden University Excellence Scholarship is a prestigious award offered to some of the most talented international students worldwide. The scholarship can be used for tuition fees, living expenses, and other related activities for up to three years of study. Established in 2014, this scholarship is awarded exclusively to those who demonstrate outstanding academic achievement and great potential in their chosen field.
Recipients of this scholarship are selected based on their academic achievements, including qualifications such as a top grade point average or a high International Baccalaureate (IB) score. They must also demonstrate responsibility, initiative and commitment to their studies and projects and show evidence of strong leadership qualities, creativity, and engagement with society.
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship covers all applicable tuition fees throughout the degree program and includes an allowance for living costs.
Leiden University Excellence Scholarship Summary:
- Level of Study: Masters
- Institution(s): Leiden University
- Study in: Netherlands
- All Master’s degree programs in the following faculties are offered: humanities, archaeology, medicine/LUMC, law, social and behavioral sciences, governance and international affairs, science, interfaculty centrum voor schooling (ICLON), African Studies Centre, and International Institute for Asian Studies.
- Program Length: A one-year program can only be studied for 12 months. A 2-year curriculum may be checked for a maximum of 24 months.
Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LexS) provides the recipient with the following benefits:
- € 15,000 of the tuition fee
- € 10,000 of the tuition fee
- Total tuition fee minus the statutory tuition fee
Eligibility Criteria for Leiden University Excellence Scholarship:
To qualify for a Leiden University Excellence Scholarship (LexS), candidates must fulfill all of the following requirements:
- Required Language: English
- Eligible Countries: Non-EU/EEA international students
- The student must have received excellent grades in their previous academic work pertinent to the program they desire to enroll in. The student will likely rank in the top 10% for the relevant program pursued overseas.
- Students must have received top grades in their prior coursework pertinent to the Master’s degree they are applying to. The fact that the student graduated in the top 10% of their previous study program is evidence of this. Note that this information is just provided to show the level of competition; verification of ranking is unnecessary.
- The student’s passport will not be from the EU or EEA, making them ineligible for aid under the Dutch “Studiefinanciering” system of study grants and loans. Please visit www.duo.nl for additional details. This is not the case for Advanced Masters’ programs; anybody from any country may apply for the LExS for these programs.
- It is not guaranteed that the LExS will continue if students switch their degree programs in the middle of their study plan. The Faculty Selection Committee will evaluate each request individually and make the ultimate determination (s). The LExS scholarship will be canceled, and the student must reapply if the change occurs before the student has registered for the study program.
- The LExS is only valid when the student is enrolled full-time in the study program at Leiden University.
- A LExS awarded for the academic year noted in the decision letter cannot be carried over to the next intake within that academic year or to another academic year. The LExS will be withdrawn if a student who has been granted a LExS for the September (or February) intake decides to delay their participation in the study program. The Faculty Selection Committee will evaluate each request individually and make the ultimate determination (s).
- Except for partial scholarships, which need prior written confirmation, the student cannot earn any further full scholarships for the same degree. If a full scholarship from another organization, such as the Netherlands Fellowship Program, Jean Monnet, etc., has been given and accepted, the student must inform Leiden University.
- A student is permitted to submit multiple scholarship applications at once. However, the scholarships offered or sponsored by Leiden University must be separate. This is relevant to the following scholarship schemes: Orange Tulip: and Praesidium Liberates of the CEU and China. The LExS cannot be combined with scholarships offered through bilateral agreements with educational institutions or any other scholarships that Leiden University may provide or support shortly.
- Students must abide by Dutch visa requirements.
How to Apply for Leiden University Excellence Scholarship?
To apply for this Leiden University Excellence Scholarship, please follow the steps below:
- Apply online at Leiden University for admission to a Master’s program, and if necessary, pay the application cost.
- Indicate that you want to apply for a LExS in the area of your online application that is for scholarships.
- According to the instructions in your online application, upload your LExS motivation letter. In this Word document, you can only use 500 words to describe why you should be given the award.
- Before the LExS application deadline, submit your online application, which includes your LExS application.
- You must clearly state in each application that you want to apply for a LExS for each study program you use, and you must attach a separate LExS motivation letter for each.
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship is an excellent opportunity for high-achieving international students to study abroad. The scholarship provides many benefits, including total tuition fees, a living allowance and health insurance, making the dream of studying at one of the world’s most prestigious universities achievable for many. Furthermore, it offers invaluable life experiences that will stay with recipients for years.